The Royal Historical Society library holds more than a thousand works of historical scholarship published from the mid-sixteenth century to the present day. It has been acquired over the years by gift, bequest and purchase. The collection has grown since the earliest years of the Society charting the development of our historical research and scholarship. It is largely focused on British history and antiquities.
The Society’s library and archive collection is listed below by chronological category and series type. The collection is open to the Society’s membership and interested members of the public.
If you wish to visit the library or consult the archive please make an appointment with the Executive Secretary, Dr Sue Carr, at email@example.com.
ROYAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY LIBRARY
- Antiquarian (1500-1599)
- Antiquarian (1600-1699)
- Antiquarian (1700-1799)
- Antiquarian (1800-1899)
- Modern (1900-1999)
- Modern (2000-)
- Prothero Collection
- Dictionaries / Encyclopaedias / Reference Works
- Royal Historical Society Guides and Handbooks and other publications
TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY (TRHS)
- TRHS Sixth Series (1991-present)
- TRHS Fifth Series (1951 – 1990)
- TRHS Fourth Series (1918 – 1950)
- TRHS Third Series (1907 – 1917)
- TRHS Second (New) Series (1884-1906)
- TRHS First (Old) Series (1877-1882)
- Camden Fifth Series (1993 – present)
- Camden Fourth Series (1969-1993)
- Camden Third Series (1900-1963)
- Camden New (Second) Series (1871-1901)
- Camden Old (First) Series (1838-1872)
STUDIES IN HISTORY SERIES
ROYAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY ARCHIVE
The Society has a small archive collection, which includes the Minute Books and other papers of the Society; records of the Camden Society from 1838 until its merger with the RHS in 1897; the papers of two past Presidents, Sir George Prothero and Sir Geoffrey Elton; and other miscellaneous material acquired by gift and bequest. The archival collection is in the process of being catalogued.