Closing date for next application round: Monday 16 August
The Royal Historical Society represents the interests of historical researchers in universities, libraries, archives, museums, heritage and broadcasting, as well as those engaged in public, community and family history research.
We currently have a worldwide membership of over 4250 historians, of all kinds, engaged in researching, presenting and publishing history. Annual subscriptions paid by the membership are essential to sustaining our work and supporting our activities.
All RHS Members and Fellows are entitled to a range of benefits including:
- Copies of the RHS academic journal, Transactions.
- Copies of the RHS newsletter.
- All other RHS publications offered at a substantial discount.
- Regular mailings about the activities of the RHS and our partner organisations.
- Eligible to participate in all RHS public meetings.
- Priority access to the RHS Archive and Library collections, at University College London.
- Eligible to join UCL Libraries as a library member.
- Become part of a thriving international community of historians, of all kinds and from many backgrounds.
In addition, Fellows are entitled to:
- Vote in all RHS elections.
- Stand for election to the RHS Council.
- Use the letters FRHistS after your name.
- Use the Society’s Council Chamber for small group meetings (on application to the RHS office).
Applications to join the RHS are welcome through the year. Closing dates for applications and supporting references in 2021 are: 4 January, 22 March, 31 May, 16 August and 4 October.
Becoming a FellowSociety Fellowship is for anyone who has made an original contribution to the research, writing or dissemination of history.
Becoming a MemberSociety Membership is for anyone with an interest in the rich and varied world of the past. Membership is open to all.