Closing date for next application round:
Monday 22 August 2022
The Royal Historical Society represents the interests of historical researchers in universities, libraries, archives, museums, heritage and broadcasting, as well as those engaged in public, community and family history research.
From November 2021, there are four ways to join and be part of the Society: as a Fellow, an Associate Fellow, a Postgraduate Member and a Member. Each category caters for historians and researchers from different backgrounds, career stages and levels of interest in the past. Before applying to join the RHS, please read more on each of the four categories to find the option that’s most suitable to you. There’s also more available on the new membership categories, of Associate Fellow and Postgraduate Member, introduced in November 2021.
We currently have a worldwide membership of over 4500 historians, of all kinds, engaged in researching, presenting and publishing history. The Society welcomes historians of all kinds, both from within Higher Education and related sectors, such as heritage, museums and libraries, as well as those interested in the past, but not employed in a history-related profession. Annual subscriptions paid by the membership are essential to sustaining our work and supporting our activities.
RHS Fellows, Associate Fellows, Postgraduate Members and Members are entitled to a range of benefits including:
From August 2022
- Online access to the current issue and searchable archive of Transactions of the Royal Historical Society the journal’s foundation in 1872 and the early 2020s.
- Online access to all 325 volumes of the Society’s Camden Series of primary source material, including the latest titles published in 2021 and 2022. The Camden Series makes primary records available in accessible scholarly editions.
- 30% discount on purchases of print copies of the Society’s New Historical Perspectives book series.
- 20% discount on print subscription to History Today, Britain’s leading history magazine (£52 per annum, usually £65 full price)
- 20% discount on online subscription to the archive of History Today (£56 per annum, usually £70 full price).
- Print and online copies of the RHS academic journal, Transactions.
- All other RHS publications offered at a substantial discount: includes the Bibliography of British and Irish History and Camden Series volumes.
- Receipt of the weekly ‘RHS News Circular’: regular update on RHS activities, plus listings of events / calls for papers from other UK historical societies and research networks.
- Copies of RHS newsletters and the Society’s annual reports.
- Eligible to participate in the Society’s Annual General Meeting.
- Access to the RHS Archive and Library collections, and RHS Library Rooms, at University College London.
- Eligible to apply for RHS grants and fellowships (available only to Associate Fellows and Postgraduate Members, where applicable).
- A 30% discount on all Cambridge University Press academic books (print only)
- Become part of a thriving international community of historians, of all kinds and from many backgrounds.
In addition, Fellows are entitled to:
- Use the letters FRHistS after your name.
- Vote in all RHS elections.
- Stand for election to the RHS Council.
- Join UCL Libraries as a library member.
- Use the Society’s Council Chamber for small group meetings (on application to the RHS office).
Applications to join the RHS are welcome through the year. Remaining closing dates for applications and supporting references in 2022 are: Mondays 22 August and 31 October.
RHS FellowshipFellowship is for anyone who has made an original contribution to historical scholarship, via the research, writing or dissemination of history.
RHS Associate FellowshipAssociate Fellowships recognise contributions to history from those starting their academic careers, as well as historians working in related sectors.