Closing date for next application round: Monday 16 August
Membership of the RHS is open to all those who have an interest in the rich and varied world of the past. You may be involved in teaching, libraries, archives, museums, heritage, or the media in either a professional or volunteer capacity. You may be actively engaged in local or family history, or simply want to join our worldwide community of historians. Membership is open to all.
If you are a published historian, our Fellowship category may be more appropriate for you.
Please check our eligibility criteria for becoming a Member. Many Members are later elected to the Fellowship.
Benefits of RHS Membership
- Copies of the RHS academic journal, Transactions.
- Copies of the RHS Newsletter.
- All other RHS publications offered at a substantial discount.
- Regular mailings about the activities of the RHS and our partner organisations.
- Eligible to participate in all RHS public meetings.
- Priority access to the RHS Archive and Library collections, at University College London (UCL).
- Eligible to join UCL Libraries as a library member.
- Become part of a thriving international community of historians, of all kinds and from many backgrounds.
- Help us support and advocate for the study and practice of history in its many forms.
From 1 July 2019 the annual subscription for Members is £40, payable on election.
How to Apply
To apply for election to the Membership you will need to read the Notes for Applicants.
Once you have read the notes please complete this Application Form.
Applications for RHS Membership are welcome through the year. Closing dates for applications in 2021: 4 January, 22 March, 31 May, 16 August and 4 October.
All applications are considered by our Membership Committee who meet four times a year. You can expect to hear the outcome approximately eight weeks after the closing date for your application. Incomplete applications will be held on file until we have received all the necessary information.
All enquiries about applying for election to the Membership should be addressed to the Administrative Secretary, Imogen Evans, at: email@example.com