Closing date for next application round: Monday 16 August
Fellowships are awarded to those who have made an original contribution to the discipline of history, normally through the authorship of a book, a body of scholarly work similar in scale and impact to a book, the organisation of exhibitions and conferences, the editing of journals, and other works of diffusion and dissemination grounded in historical research.
Election is conducted by review and applications must be supported by someone who is already a Fellow. The Society is able to offer assistance for applicants who do not know an existing Fellow – please contact us for advice. Applications are welcome from historians working within or outside the UK.
Benefits of RHS Fellowship
- Copies of the RHS academic journal, Transactions.
- Copies of the RHS newsletter.
- All other RHS publications offered at a substantial discount.
- Regular mailings about the activities of the RHS and our partner organisations.
- Eligible to participate in all RHS public meetings.
- Eligible to vote in all RHS elections.
- Eligible to stand for election to the RHS Council.
- Entitled to use the letters FRHistS after your name.
- Priority access to the RHS Archive and Library collections, at University College London (UCL).
- Eligible to join UCL Libraries as a library member.
- Use of the Society’s Council Chamber for small group meetings (on application to the RHS office).
- Become part of a thriving international community of historians, of all kinds and from many backgrounds.
- Help us support and advocate for the study and practice of history in its many forms.
Annual subscription for Fellows is £60 and for Retired Fellows £40, payable on election; the RHS subscription year runs July to June with renewals due on 1 July of each year.
How to Apply
Before applying for election to the Fellowship please read the Frequently Asked Questions and arrange for a current Fellow to act as your referee using the guidance supplied in the FAQs.
Once you have read the notes please complete this online Application Form.
Applications to become an RHS Fellow are welcome through the year. Closing dates for applications and supporting references in 2021: 4 January, 22 March, 31 May, 16 August and 4 October.
All applications are considered by our Membership Committee who meet four times a year. You can expect to hear the outcome approximately eight weeks after the closing date for your application. Incomplete applications will be held on file until we have received all the necessary information.
All enquiries about applying for election to the Fellowship should be addressed to the RHS office: firstname.lastname@example.org