The Bibliography of British and Irish History (BBIH) is the most comprehensive and accurate guide available to what’s been published in British and Irish history over the past 100 years.
The Bibliography is a joint research and publishing project of the Royal Historical Society, the Institute of Historical Research (IHR), University of London, and the Belgian publisher, Brepols. It is edited by staff at the Institute of Historical Research, with specialist academic advisers acting as section editors.
What does BBIH offer historians of Britain and the British world?
- contains 640,000+ records of books, edited collections, journal articles and book chapters;
- includes details of history publications from the early 1900s to the current year;
- adds regular online updates of c.10,000 new publications each year;
- covers the history of the British Isles, the former empire and Commonwealth, the British world, and Britons’ activities on the global stage, from Roman Britain to the 21st century;
- contains publications relating to British influence in Europe, the trans-Atlantic and informal empire;
- searchable via a range of options. These include: by author, title of publication, subject area, period and places covered, publication type and date/s of publication;
- offers cross-searchability with the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, The National Register of Archives and IHR digital resources including Reviews in History and British History Online;
What makes BBIH a key research tool?
- BBIH has been created using systematic and extensive surveys of data on all relevant new publications, including weekly reviews of 800 academic journals and records of new acquisitions by the British Library;
- Provides links to individual publications in your library or a union catalogue, along with links to Google Books, selected on-line book reviews, and full text versions of articles;
- BBIH enables you to create your own comprehensive bibliography on any topic, using a range of a variety export formats (including Refworks and EndNote);
- Generates email updates of new publications relevant to your research interests.
Access or subscribe to BBIH
The Bibliography of British and Irish History is an online subscription service that’s available via a very wide range of UK higher education institutions and research libraries, as well as universities and libraries worldwide.
- For members of subscribing institutions, access is available either via your library’s website or via Brepols’ online portal website: www.brepolis.net;
- Institutions wishing to subscribe to BBIH can obtain a 30-day free trial period, along with a price quotation and details on a licence agreement. One-year trials are now also available with 50% discount; UK institutions are priced according to JISC bandings. For further information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Individual subscriptions to BBIH are also available, with significant discounts for fellows and members of the RHS. For further enquiries, please email: email@example.com.
For further information about the Bibliography and its use in research and teaching, see the BBIH pages on the IHR website.