Postgraduate Research Support Grants provide funds to historians to undertake historical research. Activities supported include: visiting an archive or historic site, or conducting interviews.
Postgraduate Research Support Grants are reserved for History students (who are Postgraduate Members of the Royal Historical Society), currently studying for a Masters degree or PhD.
In 2024, grants of either £500 or £1000 (based on the research activity to be undertaken) will be awarded by the Society. Closing dates for applications in 2024 are as follows:
- Friday 7 June 2024
- Friday 7 December 2024
Applications for Postgraduate Research Support Grants are invited via the Society’s applications portal.
Further notes on eligibility:
- Postgraduate Research Support Grants are reserved for those who are members of the Royal Historical Society. To join the Society, please see here.
- Funding is reserved for research projects that are both clearly and predominantly historical in orientation, with a specific chronological remit.
- The RHS will largely favour research visits that take place in the second, third or fourth year (or part-time equivalent) of full-time postgraduate degrees.
- Applicants who have previously been awarded a ‘Postgraduate Research Support Grant’ will not be eligible for further funding under this scheme.
- Applications for funding for research taking place within 4 weeks of the application deadline will not be considered.
- Applications for retroactive research visits/activities will not be considered.
Current holders of Postgraduate Research Support Grants, 2023
- Shelley Castle – awarded August 2023
- Jones Patrick O’Dare – awarded August 2023
- William Rees – awarded August 2023
- Islay Shelbourne – awarded August 2023
- Francisca Valenzuela Villaseca – awarded August 2023
- Alexandra Watson – awarded August 2023
HEADER IMAGE: Women’s rights quilt, c.1875, Illinois, USA, Metropolitan Museum of Art New York, public domain