CALL FOR PAPERS: DEADLINE 10 September 2021
Families and Health: Historical Perspectives Online conference
Tuesday 9 November 2021
University of Wolverhampton, UK
You are invited to submit a proposal for a conference that seeks to explore the relationship between family life, family relationships and health from a historical perspective. Proposals that focus on mental or physical health are equally welcome. We invite proposals focusing on any historical period or geographical area. We welcome both experienced and new speakers, including speakers without an institutional affiliation. Potential speakers are welcome to discuss their ideas with the organiser before submission (please see details below).
Some of the themes that might be considered include (but are not limited) to:
- Families as carers
- Inheritance and disease
- Families in medical thought and practice
- The medical profession and family succession
- Family planning, maternal and child health
- The politics of family, health and wellbeing
- Domestic violence, abuse and health
- Families and the retailing and marketing of medicines and remedies
- Health, life-cycles, and old age
- Families, the emotional history of health, sickness, caring and being cared for
- The home as a site of health and sickness.
We invite both 20-minute papers and shorter, 10-minute ‘work in progress’ presentations. All papers will be followed by 10 minutes for questions and discussion.
The conference will take place online. We anticipate that it will take place between circa 10.00 and 16.00 UK time.
To submit a proposal, please send title and abstract of c.300 to 400 words, specifying whether you are proposing a 10 or a 20 minute presentation (as a Word or similar file. Please do not submit a pdf file,) to Laura Ugolini, at email@example.com by 10 September 2021.
For further information, please e-mail Laura Ugolini at: firstname.lastname@example.org or see the conference website: https://familiesandhealthconference.wordpress.com/
Image details: “Sunlight” : in sympathy : Sunlight Soap is in sympathy with the joys of women … / Lever Brothers Ltd.. Wellcome Collection. Public Domain Mark.