The product of a partnership between the RHS, the Institute of Historical Research and Brepols Publishers, the BBIH is the most complete online bibliography for British and Irish history with a fully searchable database of more than 565,000 records. It covers the history of British and Irish relations with the rest of the world, including the British empire and the Commonwealth, as well as British and Irish domestic history. It includes not only books, but also articles in journals and articles within collective volumes and is updated regularly.
For up-to-date developments please read the BBIH blog.
Subscribers and members of subscribing institutions can search directly below
Features of the Bibliography (BBIH):
- a database of over 570,000 records, by far the most complete online bibliographical resource on British and Irish history, including relations with the empire and Commonwealth.
- an essential resource for those drawing up bibliographies in British and Irish history for any purpose from writing undergraduate essays to preparation of course syllabi and advanced research.
- includes books, articles in journals, articles in collective volumes, and review articles.
- covers British and Irish history from the earliest periods for which written evidence survives to the present.
- near-comprehensive coverage of works published since 1900, and select earlier works.
- updated three times a year, with at least 10,000 records added per annum.
- searching by author, title, and date of publication for all records.
- use of standardised hierarchical subject and place indexes for post-1992 publications.
- cross-searchability with Oxford Dictionary of National Biography and National Register of Archives.
- links to library catalogues, Google Books, selected on-line book reviews, and full text versions of articles.
- Other features include fast searching, hierarchical displays of the subject and place indexes, an auto-complete function, an auto record count per search field, a multilingual interface, and a variety export formats (including Refworks and EndNote)
The service may be trialled. Librarians may request a 30-day free trial by contacting: Brepols Publishers, Begijnhof 67, B-2300 Turnhout, Belgium.
For more subscription and general information, contact Brepols Publishers at the address above.