Fellowships are awarded to those who have made “an original contribution to historical scholarship”, normally through the authorship of a monograph, a body of scholarly work similar in scale and impact to a monograph, or the organisation of exhibitions, conferences, the editing of journals and other works of diffusion and dissemination grounded in historical scholarship. Election is conducted by peer review and all applications must be supported by an existing Fellow. Applications are welcome from historians working within or outside the UK.
Benefits of Fellowship
- Copies of Transactions.
- Copies of the RHS newsletter.
- All other RHS publications offered at a substantial discount.
- Regular electronic mailings about the activities of the RHS and our partner organisations.
- Eligible to participate in all RHS public meetings.
- Eligible to vote in all RHS elections.
- Eligible to stand for election to the RHS Council.
- Eligible to participate in the RHS online directory of research expertise.
- Entitled to use the letters FRHistS after your name.
- Use of the Society’s Council Chamber for small group meetings (on application to the Executive Secretary)
The annual subscription for Fellows is £50 and for Retired Fellows £37, payable on election.
How to Apply
Before applying for election to the Fellowship please read the Frequently Asked Questions and Notes for Applicants and Referees and arrange for a current Fellow to act as your referee using the guidance supplied in the Notes.
Once you have read the notes please complete this Application Form.
Closing dates for applications in 2017: 1 September, 1 November
All applications are considered by our Membership Committee who meet five times a year. You can expect to hear the outcome approximately eight weeks after the closing date for your application. Incomplete applications will be held on file until we have received all the necessary information.
All enquiries about applying for election to the Fellowship should be addressed to the Administrative Secretary, Melanie Ransom, at: firstname.lastname@example.org