Monday 24 June 2024 | Magdalen College Oxford, and Online
Children and Politics
One day colloquium: Centre for the History of Childhood, University of Oxford
Call for Papers, deadline – Friday 8 March 2024 at 12 pm
We welcome papers that consider the theme of ‘Children and politics’ from a wide variety of perspectives. Areas that papers might explore include:
- The everyday politics of children and young people in the past;
- Childhood interactions with political institutions, processes, ideas, or figures;
- Children and young people as political leaders, activists, figureheads, or supporters;
- Informal or formal political education in childhood and youth;
- Decisions by children and young people to be non-political;
- The political marginalisation or exclusion of children and young people;
- Conceptual links between age, maturity, and political action.
We welcome papers that explore the political actions of children and young people in any historical time period and place. We also encourage papers that consider the political actions of children and young people beyond the sphere of formal politics. We hope that all participants will place the experiences and perspectives of children and young people at the heart of their analysis.
We welcome papers from any disciplinary or professional background and career stage, including advanced undergraduate and graduate students.
Please send abstracts of c. 250 words and a brief bio to firstname.lastname@example.org by midday on Friday 8th March 2024. We plan to offer in-person and online participation, so please indicate your preference when submitting.
If you would like to find out more about the Centre for the History of Childhood, you can follow us on X (@HistChildOxford) or visit our website:
Image credit: Aad van der Drift, 1 December 1989, licensed under a CC-BY 2.0 (cropped) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:0571_1989_BERLIN_Mauer_(1_december)_(14122019158).jpg