Transactions since 1872
In February 1872, Charles Rogers, founder of the Society, wrote of its intention to collect and publish the first papers, or transactions, presented to Fellows covering the years 1869-71. The first volume of Transactions appeared in 1872 with the purpose of recovering ‘from recondite sources … materials which might illustrate the less explored paths of national and provincial history.’
150 years on, Transactions continues to publish a combination of lectures given to the Society, and written up as articles, alongside research articles, commentaries, provocations and round tables submitted by historians worldwide.
To browse an article-by-article listing of the journal, by series, click on a link below (opens up a pdf document)
- TRHS Sixth Series (1991 to the present)
- TRHS Fifth Series (1951-90)
- TRHS Fourth Series (1918-50)
- TRHS Third Series (1907-17)
- TRHS Second (New) Series (1884-1906)
- TRHS First (Old) Series (1872-82)
A selection of articles from Transactions (1872-2007) was published by CUP in 2018 to mark the 150th anniversary of the Society’s foundation; also available is a selection of articles published Open Access between 2013 and 2021.
- For permission to reproduce copyrighted material from pre-1993 volumes of Transactions please contact the RHS Office: email@example.com.
- For permission to reproduce material from post-1993 volumes and all digital permissions please contact the Rights Department at Cambridge University Press.
- Authors of papers in Transactions wishing to reproduce their own work in subsequent volumes should also email Cambridge University Press.