The allocation of research funding is central to the Society’s work of supporting historians and historical research.
In 2022 the Society awarded £95,000 in funding to historians through open competitions and a further £30,000 in one-off programmes, generously assisted by partner organisations and donors.
Funding is available to historians at three career stages. Please follow the links for further information on grants available:
- For Postgraduate Historians (those studying for a History MA or PhD)
- For Early Career Historians (those in non-tenured positions in the region of 3-5 years post-doc)
- For Historians past Early Career (those further on from PhD completion, or in mid / later career employed in Higher Education or in other sectors aligned to history)
The Society runs two additional funding programmes open to historians at all career stages. Please follow the links for more on our annual:
- Workshop Grants, enabling historians to come together to discuss projects in detail
- Jinty Nelson Teaching Awards, to facilitate innovative and creative practice
In each case (with the exception of selected Postgraduate grants), applicants for RHS funding must be members of the Society. To do so, please see our Join Us page.
All enquiries about Research Funding should be sent to the Society’s Membership and Administration Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
HEADER IMAGE: Bowl with a scholar, anon, c.1575-99, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, public domain