Date / time
30 May - 31 May, 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
The Power of the Bishop team are joining with the Episcopus Society for the 2019 conference, exploring the theme of Episcopal Patronage from Late Antiquity to c.1500. We want to put together thematic panels that compare and contrast uses, abuses and outcomes of bishops as patrons across time and geographical boundaries.
Location: Sarum College, 19, The Close, Salisbury SP1 2EE
We are sponsored this year by Medium Aevum, who have been consistent supporters over the past 4 conferences. We are very pleased to have the support of the Episcopus Society and the sponsorship of Elon University Faculty of Art & Art History, and Cardiff University School of Modern Languages. We also have a number of private sponsors who put their own money into this event. This means we are able to offer Free Registration and no conference fee. Lunch is included both days, as well as tea and coffee. Tickets are limited!
Our speakers this year include:
- KEYNOTE: Edward Coleman, University College Dublin
- Jean-Noël Rolland, Université de Montréal
- David Runciman, University of Cambridge
- Ian Patrick McDole, University of Oxford
- Philippa Byrne, University of Oxford
- Michael H. Gelting, University of Aberdeen
- John Jenkins, University of York
- Beate Umann, Universität Leipzig
- Adam J. Davis, Denison University
- Burt Westermeier, Yale University
- Susana Guijarro, Universidad de Cantabria
- Mariel Pérez, Universidad de Buenos Aires
- Esther Tello, Spanish National Research Council (Rome)
- Claire Donovan, Independent Art Historian
- Till Warning, Georg August University of Goettingen
- Julia Faiers, University of St Andrews
For the first time we are moving the conference from its home at Cardiff University to the Cathedral Close at Salisbury where we can see Episcopal Patronage in action!
Sarum College has accommodation on site of various types. These rooms start at £40 per night and can be booked directly with the College on a first-come-first-served basis. Contact them on (+44)1722 424800, or visit their website http://www.sarum.ac.uk for their email address and more information including accessibility requirements.
Catering (tea and coffee breaks and lunch) will also be on site in Sarum College. Please let us know about dietary requirements when you register.
Lunch (included in your registration at no charge) will be a 3 course meal, and the College has a vegetarian day on Fridays where all meals will be vegetarian. There will be a meat and vegetarian option for lunch on Thursday.
The Registration link is: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/pob-4-the-medieval-bishop-as-patron-tickets-53543735755
And there is also information on our website at http://www.powerofthebishop.blogspot.co.uk