Date / time
18 May, 10:30 am - 6:00 pm
The Warwick Network for Parish Research is pleased to open bookings for ‘Parish Participation’, its seventeenth annual symposium, to be held on Saturday 18 May 2019 (directions: https://warwick.ac.uk/about/visiting/).
Location: Humanities Building, Central Campus, University of Warwick
This day event, co-organized with Prof. Malin Lennartsson (Linnaeus University, Växjö), features four papers dedicated to Scandinavia and six on English and Scottish parishes from postgraduates, early career researchers and senior scholars.
10.30–11.00 Registration & coffee
11.00–11.15 Beat Kümin (Warwick): Introduction
11.15–12.00 PANEL 1 – OFFICERS & POLITICS
- Dave Postles (Hertfordshire): Parish office-holding: some sceptical reflections
- Donald Spaeth (Glasgow): Parish politics and the names of parish officers – What lay beneath the ideal of neighbourliness?
12.10–12.55 PANEL 2 – RESPONSIBILITIES & TENSIONS
- Helen Gair (Nottingham Trent): Parish participation and the church court – Kirk session discipline in sixteenth-century Perth
- John Morgan (Manchester): Participation in water management in early modern English parishes
14.00–15.30 PANEL 3 – PARISH ENGAGEMENT IN EARLY MODERN SCANDINAVIA
- Malin Lennartsson (Linnaeus): Swedish parish records in comparative perspective
- Miia Kuha (Jyväskylä): Negotiating parish affairs in court – Encounters of parishioners and authorities in late seventeenth-century Eastern Finland
- Arja Rantanen (National Archives of Finland/Jyväskylä): Parish scribes, local administration and political culture
- Ella Viitaniemi (Tampere): Active middle men, enlightened reformers? The agency of deans in the late eighteenth-century Swedish realm / Western Finland
16.15–17.00 PANEL 4 – POVERTY & CHARITY
- Joe Chick (Warwick): Chronic relief – Parishioners and poverty in fifteenth- and sixteenth-century Reading
- Marion Hardy: ’Heaven is the reward of charity’ – Benefactors and their parish charities
17.00–18.00 Concluding remarks, general discussion and wine reception
For access to (mandatory) online registration – at rates of £15 for postgraduates/unwaged and £25 for other delegates, both including lunch and refreshments – by 30 April 2019 visit: http://warwick.ac.uk/my-parish/parishsymposia/2019participation/
Please spread the news in your networks.We gratefully acknowledge the support of Warwick’s Humanities Research Centre and look forward to welcoming delegates in May.