Date / time
23 June - 20 October, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
CULTURE, THINGS, AND EMPIRE: VIRTUAL SEMINAR SERIES TWO ‘REMEMBERING EMPIRE’
REGISTRATION FOR SERIES TWO NOW OPEN
June 2021 – October 2021
Generously funded by the AHRC Midlands4Cities DTP.
In the wake of current events, discussions around Britain’s imperial past, its postcolonial present, and its multicultural future have never been more important. Suddenly countless news stories have emerged over the past few months across the globe reporting on topics of race and colonialism, which have specifically sought out the views of academics and researchers. This series will contribute to the emerging and vibrant research culture in the humanities that has recently shifted into the virtual world. It will bring together researchers from across the globe to exchange ideas in interdisciplinary discussions about pertinent issues relating to race, gender, class, and materiality in the fields of imperial, colonial and global studies.
We are delighted to announce that registration for our second series, ‘Remembering Empire’, is now open. Our second series contains five seminars, each one based on a particular theme: Women, Power and Memory; Empire on Film; Remembering Rebellion; Memorialising through Heritage; Writing Memory. These seminars will take place every month consecutively between June 2021 and October 2021. Each speaker will present their 10 minute paper followed by a response to both papers by their respondents. Group discussion, questions and comments will take place in the time remaining. Our sixth session will take the form of a special masterclass with a specialist in the field – details to come soon.
Please use the Eventbrite links below to see more details about the speakers, register your attendance at each seminar, and receive the Zoom links. Our first seminar is ‘Women, Power and Memory’ on Wednesday 23rd June 2021, 5-6pm. Please note all the other seminars take place from 2-3pm (BST). All welcome but registration for each of the 5 seminars is essential.
- Seminar 1: Women, Power and Memory (23 June 2021, 5-6pm BST) https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/155973614279
- Seminar 2: Empire on Film (28 July 2021, 2-3pm BST) https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/155977527985
- Seminar 3: Remembering Rebellion (18 August 2021, 2-3pm BST) https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/155980035485
- Seminar 4: Memorialising through Heritage (22 Sept 2021, 2-3pm BST) https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/155989078533
- Seminar 5: Writing Memory (20 October 2021, 2-3pm BST) https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/155991830765
Follow us on Twitter: @CTEseminars.