Journalism Department, Liverpool Screen School.
Liverpool John Moores University.
Papers are invited for a one-day conference on the theme of conflict, community and representation in the media. The conference is being held to herald the 75th anniversary of Liverpool’s May Blitz, when 1,800 people were killed in one week of bombing. The conference intends to explore the consequences of such onslaughts and asks the question: what is the media’s role in times of conflict?
We welcome paper proposals on press, radio, television, film, and new media of all eras and nationalities, shedding new light on longstanding or recent historical topics. A selection of accepted papers will be considered for publication in either a special issue of a peer-reviewed journal or an edited book.
Conference themes include:
• Conflict and conflict reporting
• Trauma narratives and representation
• Transnational collaboration and conflict
• Media as political and social discourse
• Genre-based inquiry
• Media representation of terrorism
• Production and Reception Histories