Applications are now invited for the following RHS Prizes and Awards, 2023:
- Gladstone Prize: for a first monograph published in 2022, by an author with a History PhD from a UK university, on the subject of European or World history.
- Whitfield Prize: for a first monograph published in 2022, by an author with a History PhD from a UK university, on the subject of British and Irish history.
- Alexander Prize: for a journal article or journal article, on any historical subject, published in 2022 and written by a current UK History PhD student or a post-doctoral researcher within two years of completing a PhD at a UK university.
- Rees Davies Prize: for a Masters’ dissertation in History completed at a UK University in 2022.
Submitting to these prizes
Submissions for the Gladstone and Whitfield Book Prizes are by publishers only. If you are an author of a monograph published in 2022, please let your publisher know that the Society’s annual book prizes are now receiving submissions.
We ask colleagues to encourage early career historians to consider their recent monographs for submission. In this way, we seek a set of submitted books that reflects the diversity of the historical profession, and research, today.
Submissions for the Alexander Prize are by the author. Again, we encourage colleagues to bring this award to the attention of early career historians.
Submissions for the Rees Davies Masters Dissertation Prize are via the History department at which the dissertation was completed. One dissertation may be submitted per institution. We seek a final set of dissertations that reflects the many institutions in which History is taught at Masters level.
All submissions, for each of these categories of prize, should be made via the Society’s online applications portal.
Deadlines for submissions
- Publishers wishing to submit books for consideration for the 2023 Gladstone and Whitfield Prizes should do so online by Saturday 31 December 2022.
- Authors wishing to submit articles or chapters for the 2023 Alexander Prize should so so online by Saturday 31 December 2022.
- Departments wishing to submit a dissertation for the 2023 Rees Davies Prize should so so online by Tuesday 31 January 2023.
Shortlists for the Gladstone, Whitfield and Alexander Pries are expected to be released in June 2023, with winners announced in July. Further information on other RHS prizes, 2023, will be made available in due course.
Information on the recipients of the RHS prizes and awards, 2022 are available here.