Following the launch, on 22 February, of the Society’s new Research Funding programme for 2023, the following grant calls are now open and accepting applications. For further details and how to submit an application, please follow the links provided.
Calls currently open for applications
- Open Research Support Grants – for historians more than 3 years beyond completion of their PhD, including those at mid- and later career stage. Awards of either £500 or £1000 to support specified research activities. Closing date for applications: Friday 14 April 2023.
- Postgraduate Research Support Grants – for those currently studying for a History Masters degree or PhD at a UK university. Awards of either £500 or £1000 to support research activities. Closing date for applications: Friday 2 June 2023.
- Early Career Research Support Grants – for historians within 3 years of having completed a History PhD at a UK university. Awards of either £500 or £1000 to support specified research activities. Closing date for applications: Friday 2 June 2023.
- Early Career Fellowship Grants – for historians within 3 years of having completed a History PhD at a UK university. Awards of £2000 to support work on a defined academic project over a period of up to 6 months. Closing date for applications: Friday September 2 September 2023.
Calls opening soon
- Martin Lynn Scholarship in African History – for postgraduate researchers currently studying for a History Masters or PhD at a UK university. An award of £1500 to support research into any aspect of the history of Africa. Opens Friday 10 March 2023.
- Jinty Nelson Teaching Grants – for those teaching History in UK Higher Education. Awards of £1000 each to facilitate and pilot innovative approaches to History teaching. Opens 31 March 2023.
- Masters’ Scholarships – for students seeking to study for a History Masters’ degree at a UK university from September 2023. Awards of £5000 each support students from groups currently underrepresented in the discipline within UK Higher Education. Opens Spring 2023 for the academic year 2023-24.
- PhD Fellowships – for postgraduate historians in their third year of research at a UK university, to support a further six months’ funding for research and writing. Opens Spring 2023 for the academic year 2023-24.
Please note: Applicants for Royal Historical Society funding must be members of the Society, with several exceptions for Postgraduate grants. To find out how to become a Fellow, Associate Fellow, Member or Postgraduate Member, please see our Join Us page.
All enquiries about Research Funding should be sent to the Society’s Membership and Grants Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
HEADER IMAGE: Utagawa Hiroshige (Japanese, Tokyo (Edo) 1797–1858 Tokyo (Edo)), Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, public domain.