This special talk takes place on board a replica of Francis Drakes 16th century ship the Golden Hinde. The talk starts at 7.30pm but the boat will be open for exploration to ticket holders from 6.30pm
Heroic Black Sailors of the 1800s. An illustrated talk with a selection of amazing true stories of free African/Caribbean sailors. They crossed oceans, seas and rivers performing exciting acts of valour that have been left out of history.
We will cover:
- Black Sailors in Nelsons Navy
- The Jamaican sea captain and his support for the Haitian revolution
- The first Black sailor to win a Victoria Cross
- The real pirates of the Caribbean
- The Black male sailor who was really a woman
- Black sailors on the Thames, Tower Hamlets, Deptford, Greenwich to Gravesend
- Enslaved Africans who were not sailors but took over the ship and mashed up the slavemaster
About the speaker: S.I. Martin is an author and historian. His book, Incomparable World, is currently being made into a TV series by Ridley Scott’s (Director of Gladiator/Alien/Blade Runner) company. The book is about African-American veterans who fought for the British in the revolutionary war only to be betrayed. They relocate to London and plan an audacious raid to get even.
Doors open at 18:30, bar available.
Tickets available from https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/heroic-black-sailors-of-the-1800s-tickets-64292179640