Royal Historical Society conference travel grants are a highly-valued source of support for research postgraduates and early career researchers to enable them to present papers at specialist conferences both within and outside the UK.
RHS travel grants acknowledge the importance for career and intellectual development of attending and presenting at conferences, making contact with other scholars in their specialist field and exchanging ideas – and also our awareness that not all early career researchers have equal access to institutional funding for this purpose.
How to apply
RHS conference travel awards are for postgraduate students registered for a research degree at UK institutions of higher education (full-time and part-time) and for early career scholars.
Grants are primarily for travel costs to assist postgraduate students and early career researchers to attend conferences at which they have been invited to present a paper.
- Applications are considered by the Research Support Committee which meets four times a year. They take up to six weeks to process from the deadline.
- Applications will not be considered for conferences to be held within the four weeks immediately following the deadline. You are advised to consult the schedule of deadlines and to submit your application before the deadline that is at least one month earlier than the start of your conference.
- No application will be considered without a supporting academic reference. You are reminded to submit your application in sufficient time to allow your supervisor to provide their reference before the closing date for which you are applying.
All applications for RHS Early Career Grants and Awards (including Conference Travel / Organisation, Research Expenses, Early Career Fellowship Grants, Masters’ Scholarships and the Martin Lynn Scholarship) should be made using the RHS application system, which can be accessed here.
For more information refer to the Guidelines.
Closing dates for applications and supporting references in 2022 and 2023 are:
- 1 November 2022 [all applicants are required to be members of the Society]
- 1 April 2023 [all applicants are required to be members of the Society]
- 1 November 2023 [all applicants are required to be members of the Society]
All enquiries about research support applications should be addressed to the RHS Membership and Administration Officer at: email@example.com.