These grants are made to early career conference organisers to assist in the financing of small, specialised historical conferences where there is substantial involvement of junior (i.e. postgraduate and immediate postdoctoral) researchers. Grants are intended to subsidize registration fees (which in this scheme may include accommodation costs) and travel costs for these junior researchers. Applicants are advised that the value of grants awarded in this scheme is between £100 and £500.
- the Society will only consider applications for conferences to be held in the UK. These will normally be thematic conferences; annual meetings are not eligible for funding.
- closed workshops are not eligible for funding.
- applications will NOT be considered for conferences to be held within the four weeks immediately following the closing date. You are advised to consult the schedule of deadlines and to submit your application before the deadline that is at least one month earlier than the start of your conference.
- grants cannot be sought retrospectively.
Criteria for Assessment
In making its funding decisions, the Research Support Committee uses the following criteria:
- providing a detailed and economical budget;
- demonstrating that the full range of available funding has been explored, both at the applicant’s and/or conference’s home institution and among relevant scholarly societies;
- showing that there will be substantial involvement of early career researchers and direct benefit to them. The Society welcomes the inclusion of poster sessions and other specific ways of encouraging junior researchers to participate in the conference and present their research.
The application process
- From the 7 January 2020, the RHS switched to a new online system for applications. If you had an incomplete application started before the 6 January 2020, you will now be unable to access or submit your application. All new applications for Research Support Grants (including Conference Travel, Research Expenses and Conference Organisation) should be made using the new RHS application system, which can be accessed here.
- You must ensure that you attach to your application a copy of the Call for Papers for your conference as well as a copy of your conference budget.
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application within six weeks of the closing date for applications.
- Successful applicants will be required to provide a full report on the uses to which the grant has been put within one month of completion of the conference.
All enquiries about research support applications should be addressed to the Membership and Administration Officer at: firstname.lastname@example.orgApply now