22 June 2023 marks the 75th anniversary of the arrival of HMT Empire Windrush at Tilbury Docks in Essex. The anniversary is being widely marked in 2023 with events, exhibitions, broadcasts and networks. Many of these events will consider the histories of the Caribbean, the voyage, the Windrush generations, post-war migration and British multi-culturalism in the later 20th and 21st century.
To capture some of these activities (large and small, national and community-focused), the Royal Historical Society is creating an online listing of anniversary events with a historical dimension.
We welcome details of a range of events and activities (in-person and online), with a history focus. These might include:
- academic events, such as lectures, conferences or seminars.
- exhibitions on the history of Windrush.
- broadcasts, including podcast episodes or series.
- blogs on the history of Windrush.
- public and community history projects.
- history festivals relating to Windrush and its legacies.
- social media channels and hashtags
- short courses, workshops and training in the history of Windrush
In addition, we welcome your recommendations for further reading (books, academic articles and historical fiction) about the history of the Windrush voyage, Windrush generations, and ethnic diversity in post-war and later 20th-century Britain. This section of the listing will help those new to this subject learn more in this anniversary year.
HEADER IMAGE: Windrush mural, St Paul’s Bristol, public domain.