Applications from Early Career Historians and from publishers are now invited for the Society’s 2022 Publishing Awards, to be announced in July 2022. Further details on entry requirements and the application process are available via the links below. The deadline for submissions for the 2022 Publishing Prizes is 31 December 2021.
The 2022 RHS Awards for Publishing, Research and Teaching will be announced at a ceremony in July of next year.
Early Career Historians of first articles / book chapters are now invited to submit their work for the:
- Alexander Prize. An annual Prize of £250 for an essay or article based on original historical research, by a doctoral candidate or those recently awarded their doctorate, published in a journal or an edited collection of essays. Deadline for nominations: 31 December 2021.
- David Berry Prize. An annual Prize of £250 for the best published or unpublished essay addressing an aspect of Scottish history. Deadline for nominations: 31 December 2021.
In each case, articles / book chapters must have been published in a journal or edited collection during the calendar year 2021 (for the 2022 prize round). Advanced access publisher versions are also eligible, but an item cannot be entered more than once in subsequent years.
On behalf of their authors, Publishers of first monographs are now invited to submit selected books for the:
- Gladstone Book Prize. An annual Prize of £1000 for a work of history on a topic not primarily related to British history that is the author’s first sole book publication. Deadline for nominations: 31 December 2021.
- Whitfield Book Prize. An annual Prize of £1000 for a work on British or Irish history that is the author’s first sole book publication. Deadline for nominations: 31 December 2021.
In each case, selected monographs must have been published in English during the calendar year 2021 (for the 2022 prize round).
The Royal Historical Society awards a number of prizes each year to recognise outstanding historical scholarship and achievement. The awards celebrate exceptional monograph and article publishing, graduate research and teaching.
Calls for the RHS Research and Teaching Prizes for 2022 will close later in 2022:
- Rees Davies Prize. An annual Prize of £250 for an outstanding Master’s dissertation submitted by a UK institution of Higher Education. Winners may be invited to submit an article based on the dissertation to be considered for publication in Transactions of the RHS. Deadline for nominations: 31 January 2022.
- Jinty Nelson Award for Inspirational Teaching and Supervision in History. An annual award of £1,000 usually to an individual historian. Deadline for nominations: 30 April 2022.
- Royal Historical Society Innovation in Teaching Award. An annual award of £1,000, either to an individual or to a group of historians working in collaboration. Deadline for nominations: 30 April 2022.
Details of the winners and runners-up for the 2021 RHS Awards (announced on 23 July 2021) are available here.
HEADER IMAGE: Books, 19th century, Ryūryūkyo Shinsai, Japanese: H. O. Havemeyer Collection, Bequest of Mrs. H. O. Havemeyer, 1929, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, public domain