Date / time
Date(s) - 16 October
10:00 am - 4:30 pm
GENDER AND COMMEMORATION
West of England and South Wales Women’s History Network, 28th Annual Conference
Friends Meeting House
Bristol, BS2 9DB
Carrie de Silva, Harper Adams University: Leader of a project to highlight women in street names in the UK (through the British Federation of Women Graduates, and Harper Adams University).
Call for Papers
We invite papers on any aspect of women’s or gender history and commemoration. The conference will explore the gendering of commemoration – verbally, visually and in terms of processes of formal and informal commemoration. Topics could include (but are not limited to):
- Commemoration of specific events e.g. war, revolution and protest, suffrage
- Commemoration of writers and artists and their work
- Different types of memorialization e.g. statues, blue plaques, place names
- The making/ creation of memorials e.g. artists, sculptors
- Questions of inclusion and exclusion
- Public history and commemoration
- Commemoration of specific people, either individuals or groups
- Funerary memorials e.g. epitaphs, tombs, monuments
Papers should be of not more than 20 minutes in length.
Suggestions for presentations in film or other non-standard formats will be considered. Proposals of not more than 300 words should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday 26 May 2021.
Note: The event will be held on Zoom if COVID restrictions are still in place.