Domaine Croix Montoire, Tours / France
Since 2003, the summer university of the European Institute for Food History and Cultures (IEHCA) has served as a key platform for the discussion of new research in Food & Drink Studies. What are the major interests and issues currently explored in anthropology, classics, gastronomy, history, literary studies, sociology and other disciplines? Which general trends have emerged over recent years? How can our understanding be further advanced in the future?
Leading specialists from different backgrounds will survey such questions with reference to their current research and graduate students are invited to present their ongoing projects to an international audience in a stimulating and supportive atmosphere.
As on previous occasions, academic debates at our attractive venue overlooking Tours city centre will be complemented by informal exchange with other specialists, opportunities for personal study (not least in the rich holdings of the IEHCA library), engagement with regional culinary cultures and field trips to congenial sites in the area.
All discussions are conducted in English and no knowledge of other languages is necessary.Participants wishing to hold their talks in French, German or Italian may do so, but will be expected to provide extended abstracts and/or a powerpoint presentation in English.
Proceedings are co-directed by an experienced team consisting of :
- Isabelle Bianquis, Professor of Anthropology (Université de Tours/France)
- Antonella Campanini, Instructor in Medieval History (University of Gastronomic Sciences, Bra-Pollenzo/Italy)
- Beat Kümin, Professor of Early Modern History (University of Warwick/United Kingdom).
- Pierre-Antoine Dessaux, Professor of History (Université de Tours / France)
- Jaroslaw Dumanowski, Professor of History (Nicolaus Copernicus University, Toruń/Poland)
- Marie-Luce Gélard, Professor of anthropology (Université Paris 5 / France)
- Régis Hankard, Professor of Paediatrics (Université de Tours, France)
- Marie-Pierre Horard, Professor of Archeozoology (Université de Tours / France)
- Deborah Toner, Associate Professor of History (Leicester University / United Kingdom)
For full registration details, an application form and further information on our summer university please visit: https://summerschool.iehca.univ-tours.fr/edition-2017/edition-2017–406679.kjsp