Date / time
Date(s) - 27 March - 28 March
12:00 pm - 5:30 pm
On 27 and 28 March 2019, the University of Leeds will host a conference on exile and repression in the twentieth century. The event is timed to commemorate the eightieth anniversary of the end of the Spanish Civil War and will have a specific focus on Spaniards in exile after the conflict. The final part of the first day of the conference will feature Postgraduate Researchers and Early Career Researchers working on Spanish exile after the civil war, while the second day will host prominent historians working on this topic. Professor Sir Paul Preston will be the keynote speaker on 28 March.
Ticket holders are free to attend all or part of the conference.
Wednesday 27 March (11-14 Blenheim Terrace, Room 1.17)
Panel 1: 12:00-14:00, Speakers TBC
Panel 2: Spanish Republican Refugees after the Spanish Civil War, 1500:1730
- Diego Gaspar (University of Zaragoza), ‘Spanish Exiles and Transnational Soldiers. From the French Internment Camps to the Free French Forces’
- Alba Martinez (University of Granada), ‘Becoming a woman refugee. Gender and identity during Spanish exile in France’
- Olga Glondys( Complutense University of Madrid), ‘The Transatlantic Left and the Anti-Franco Struggle: Cold War Polemics in the 1961 Amnesty Campaign’
- Luiza Iordache (International University of Catalonia), ‘Gulag voices: the Spanish republicans in the Soviet forced labour camps’17:30 Free wine reception
Thursday 28 March (Parkinson Building, Room 1.08)
Roundtable Discussion: “Exile & Repression from the 20th Century to today: Everything changes, but nothing changes at all”, 12:00-14:00 (all welcome to join in or listen)
Panel 3: Exile after the Civil War, 15:00-17:30
- Scott Soo (University of Southampton), ‘Reflections on “collective memory”: the Spanish Republicans and the Second World War in France’
- Richard Baxell (International Brigade Memorial Trust and LSE), ‘Changing the fronts and the weapons: the legacy of the British in the International Brigades’
- Mercedes Yusta (Université Paris), ‘Women and Exile’
- Simon Martinez (Basque Children of ’37 Association), ‘The Basque Children’Professor
Sir Paul Preston’s (LSE) Keynote Lecture*, ‘The Last Days of the Spanish Republic’, Leeds Central Library, 18:30-19:30
*Please note that the keynote lecture is ticketed as a separate event and has now sold out. Limited tickets are available on a first come, first served basis.The conference is generously funded by the White Rose College of Arts and Humanities (WRoCAH / AHRC) and the University of Leeds.
Location: Universit of Leeds, Woodhouse Lane, Leeds